1. Upate your LinkedIn profile monthly. Frequent updates helps keep your profile visible in search results.
2. Invite at least five people to join your network monthly. This is ongoing prospecting. Add contacts to your LinkedIn contact base. Over 12 months, that’s 60 contacts.
3. Update your LinkedIn URL with your name. Log in to your account. Click on the Profile tab. On the right side of the tab you will see a link to “Edit Public Profile Settings.” Click the link and change the URL to end with /yourname. This personally brands your URL.
4. Share news. What are you working on? When you log in to LinkedIn, look to the left nav for the box “What are you working on.” Click on the link to enter a short phrase. LinkedIn aggregates these and sends people in your network a message with news about several people. This is a great way to share what’s going on in your business life, without sending too many emails to colleagues.
5. Honors & Awards. Update your profile for those search results. Here is a great place. If you or your company received an honor or award add it to your profile. This section also adds interest to your profile for people in your network.
6. Make Your Profile Meaningful. Add Web Sites. You can add your company and your blog as Web Sites to your profile. I link to SCORE for my company and Dress for Success as my other link http://www.dressforsuccess.org.
Maybe, you want to let others know about SCORE. Please do. And, thanks! You can use the “Other” Web site link to make a Web Link for SCORE Biz Mentors and set it to http://www.score.org.
Use the “Other” Web hotlink in LinkedIn to name a favorite link & set it to a charity or cause. You want to promote your business, so add your site & blog, plus a community link to your LinkedIn profile.